No matter how well you take care of your tires – a blowout can still occur. This is why it’s vital to know how to change a tire ahead of time, before you find yourself in an emergency. Here is a simple summary of how to change a tire:
- Slowly move to the side of the road, or to another safe location, and put on your emergency lights.
- Use a wrench to loosen the lug nuts, but do not remove them yet.
- Use a jack to lift up the vehicle, about six inches above the ground.
- Now, remove the lug nuts that you previously loosened, and gently remove the tire.
- Place your spare tire in its place.
- Put the lug nuts back on but do not tighten them fully yet.
- Lower the vehicle back onto the ground.
- Tighten the lug nuts carefully, applying pressure equally to each lug nut. Start by tightening one random lug nut at about 50%, and then tighten the lug nut on the opposite side of that one. Continuing tightening the lugs nuts in this fashion until they are all as tight as possible.
Lastly, don’t forget to pick up your broken tire and dispose of it properly. For more tips and safety advice, visit us anytime at Hatfield Buick GMC.